There's nothing like a steamy bowl of soup when the weather outside holds such a chill. Just last week I was sitting in the yard soaking up some much needed sun. This week..hello Winter! So, I'm not ready to put away my soup pot, yet!
I haven't done much with barley in the past, but after researching its properties it could become a front runner in my kitchen. Here's an excerpt from the Grain Council.
Barley, like all whole grains, reduces blood pressure.
Eating barley has been shown to lower LDL "bad" cholesterol and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Barley, like all whole grains, reduces blood pressure.
- Barley has more protein than corn, brown rice, millet, sorghum or rye, and is higher in fiber and lower in soluble (starch) carbohydrates than almost all other whole grains.
- Barley may help you feel full longer, and thereby help you control your weight.
- Barley – even pearl barley – may help reduce visceral fat and waist circumference.
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 button mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1-2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup or more of leftover cooked chicken thighs, cut up
- handful of chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste