With Easter being less than couple of weeks away I thought it’s the perfect timing to share with you my clean eating hot cross buns recipe. It might seem a bit of hard work, but trust me it’s worth the effort!
Few side notes before we get making and baking the clean eating hot cross buns recipe. Usually mixed peel or candied fruits are used in traditional hot cross buns, however to keep it clean I’ve substituted with 2 tablespoons each of raisins, dried cranberries, golden raisins or sultanas and chopped dried apricots. You can use whatever you have in your cupboard though, just stick to the right amount.
- 400g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp instant or quick rise yeast
- 2 tsp mixed spice (make sure no sugar or nasties added)
- 200 ml coconut or almond milk
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 150g dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, golden raisins/sultana and apricots)
- To make the Cross pattern
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp water
- To Glaze
- 2 tbsp of warmed honey or maple syrup