I know you probably took one look at this cake and thought ‘oh dear, Claire has lost the plot’ but I promise I haven’t. Well that’s just my opinion, maybe ask Will but I’m pretty sure he would agree. It’s just, I love a good theme.
It started with my mum. She and dad threw us the most amazing themed Birthday parties when we were little. My sister had a disco party one time and mum even made a jukebox out of a refrigerator box and I’m not talking dodgy – it could have passed as a read juke box. It had a cd player in it so it played music too. She used to plan the parties for months.
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (8oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 175g (5½ oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (2½ oz) almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 cups icing (confectioner's) sugar
- Red food colouring
- Red jelly (1 box)
- Fake maggots (make sure you tell people they aren't edible!!!)