I make this soup once a month in the colder months. The Nudge just adores it. I'm not quite sure why and if you ask him he says the same thing...."I don't know why, I just do".
It is a simple soup to make, no one need have any special knife skills. A basic chop and drop soup.
- It is a simple soup to make, no one need have any special knife skills. A basic chop and drop soup.
- I like a fortified wine with slow cooked onions, so I added a tablespoon of Madeira just to kick it up a notch.
- As many times as I make this soup I am always surprised at how easily I forget how good it really is for such simple ingredients.
- Seven Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced yellow onions
- 3/4 cup sliced red onions
- 3/4 cup sliced white onions
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1 tablespoon Madeira or Marsala wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks, bottoms only, well rinsed in several changes of water
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions (white parts only)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons snipped chives, for garnish
- Shaved Parmesan, for garnish