I think we are all in the midst of a summer heat wave so I’m looking for cold drinks and cold foods to eat.
Summer fruits are delicious and sweet and just what you need to make smoothies or milk shakes. You can use any fresh fruit you like — melon, berries, peaches, bananas, whatever you have.
If you have a lot of fresh fruit that is starting to over-ripen just cut it up, put it in a freezer bag and freeze until you are ready to make a smoothie.
There are ready-made smoothie packages in the frozen section of the super market. My advice is to leave them there – don’t buy – save yourself money and calories.
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 cup fruit cut in chunks & frozen (use any fruit you like)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (skim or low-fat)
- 1 tsp. agave (use your preferred sugar/substitute)
- ½ cup plain yogurt (optional)
- 1-2 scoops ice cream or frozen yogurt (optional)