In a span of a week-and-a-half between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I used up 25 pounds of all-purpose flour. It was a lot of baking. So for the next six months I will try to focus on healthy cooking. I have already started making non-sandwich (and meatless) type lunch for my family since school resumed. This barley with tomatoes and greens recipe is not fancy but it is filling, full of vitamins and all that other good stuff. I recommend prepping and cooking the night before, and then combine cooked/prepped ingredients together the next morning for lunch.
- 158 grams (1 cup) barley
- 454 grams (16 ounces) organic cherry tomatoes, washed
- 284 grams (10 ounces) organic kale
- 15 millilitres (1 tablespoon) Myer lemon juice
- 75 milliliters (5 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil ( 45 ml or 3 tablespoons for dressing; 30 ml or 2 tablespoons for cooking)
- salt/pepper season to taste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped