I have fallen in love with this french silk pie. It’s true! I can’t stop thinking about it’s velvety texture and rich chocolate taste. Believe it or not, I’m even willing to overlook the fact that it’s a little bit time consuming to make. That’s how good this pie is. I want all of you out there reading this to know – you need to make this pie. Please.
I was a little wary of the idea of a chocolate french silk pie. It sounded fussy and difficult. Plus you have to make a custard. My custards always end up lumpy. Well, good news. I’m pretty sure there is no way this custard could have lumps in it. It is whipped into submission by a full 15+ minutes with a hand mixer. Yes, that means you have to stand right there holding the hand mixer the whole time. I tried to multi-task and do some squats and leg raises during this time period so that I didn’t feel so guilty eating pie later.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and chilled
- 4-6 Tbsp ice water
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and softened