This giveaway is now closed.
First things first, thanks for all your kind words on last week’s culinary school update! Jew are too kind! I loved reading your comments almost as much as I do living the dream. Secondly, if you don’t like reading my tourettes- esque banter, make sure to skip to the bottom to enter my giveaway!! Now, onto the soup.
Why the heck did I move to Texas again? The past few days have been freezing (read: 55 degrees) and rainy. It even hailed once! WTH! (AKA What the heck. I am not much of a swearer. Can I claim WTH as my own creation? Score!) After I got done crying in the fetal position under my bed whining about the weather, I put on my big girl pants and decided to make some soup! Of course I was immediately reminded why I love Texas weather- if it’s cold one day, you can almost guarantee it will be 70 and sunny the next, like it was yesterday when I made my soup. Oh well. Blast the AC and snuggle up with your iPad faux fireplace with a bowl of my roasted tomato basil soup anyways!
- For soup:
- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes cut in quarters the long way
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil divided
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk or cream
- For spatzle:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 dash salt
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup milk