How does a self professed lover of all things Italian reduce the pre Holiday girth and still enjoy life? Well, after losing 5 lbs in the last month while eating a full Thanksgiving meal, sushi, Italian margherita pizza, wine, pasta, bread pudding, bagels with fruit spread and frozen yogurt, this girl has done it. Actually, I've done it before with amazing results. It's simple but not easy, but once you resign to the fact you won't be indulging for a short period of time on butter, cheese, meat, you'll do just fine.
I can live for long stretches of time without meat, however, being devoid of pasta is torture to me! I'll find a way to sneak it back in, only this time preparing it a healthier way. My creativity thrives in the kitchen on this "eating plan". Whenever I want more substance (not meat) in a meal, I gravitate to eggplant and hearty mushrooms, finding these a great substitute!
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 of a large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 roasted eggplant, cubed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 small can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup or a bit more of rotini pasta (dry)
- Start by roasting a whole eggplant. In a 400 degree oven, place the eggplant on a cookie sheet and roast for about 35-40 minutes. Cool and peel and cut into cubes.