True story. . .
I’d told my parents we’d be there for my Dad’s birthday dinner at 5:30 PM, with dinner in tow.
At 5:05 PM, I heard noises in the kitchen. I walked in to find my (usually perfect, and always adorable) dog licking up the last bite of the dinner I’d just finished cooking. The LAST bite!
After calling my parents to say we’d be late because Maple ate our dinner, I got the kids in the car to hurry to the store to buy more ingredients. Then I whipped these burgers up for a second time inside of an hour. Only this time I decided to add the cheese and garlic, and they went from good to amazing! (Sorry Maple, yours were just good.)
- Olive oil or grape seed oil for the pan and grilling
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ to ½ cup finely chopped jalapeño peppers, seeds removed (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-pound ground turkey
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- A few turns of freshly ground black pepper