Cheddar Grilled Cheese Bagel Breakfast Recipe with Serrano-Bacon Caramelized Onions and Egg — it’s a mouthful, I know.
Might just be the best mouthful ever! It’s epic. There’s no other way to describe this sandwich. (Plus, that’s what my 8-year-old always says when something in amazing. ;-))
So we’ll get right to it . . . .
- 2 strips applewood smoked bacon
- 1 cup thinly sliced brown onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped, seeded Serrano chile pepper (alter the measurement based on the amount of heat you like, and taste the pepper first to see how hot it is)
- 2 plain or egg bagels, sliced in half horizontally
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- About 4-ounces white Cheddar cheese (my favorite is Kerrygold Aged Cheddar), cut into 12 small slices to fit amongst the 4 bagel halves
- 2 large eggs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste