You have my dad to thank for all of the gorgeous basil we’ve been cooking with all week.
You see there’s a lot going on in his garden right now. The tomatoes vines are thriving with new growth, the plum tree is full with ripe, succulent fruit, the peaches will be the perfect color and ready to pick in a few weeks, and the basil pots are overflowing with vibrant, soft, green leaves.
So when my dad brought me a huge bag of freshly picked basil a few days ago, I couldn’t let too much time pass before I cooked up a storm with it. I didn’t want even one leaf to turn brown before all of it was eaten in a salad, used in strawberry caprese, puréed with cucumber in a lovely chilled soup, and blended with salmon for these delicious burgers.
- 1-3/4 pounds boneless, skinless salmon fillets, cut into large chunks (preferable wild-caught salmon)
- 3-1/4 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves (washed and dried)
- Zest of 2 medium-sized lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped scallions (white parts only - from about 10 scallions)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- A few turns of freshly ground black pepper
- Grapeseed oil for the pan