Traditional Caprese, as you probably know, is made of fresh buffalo mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. This Insalata Caprese is thought to have originated in Capri, hence its name.
My Caprese originated in my mind — a place not quite as glamorous as Capri. It features thinly sliced peaches and asparagus. It’s as colorful as it is tasty.
I think we should all have as many summer fruits as possible as we slowly see them off and welcome fall soups and stews.
So quick, go get one or two last summer peaches and whip this up!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- About 1 dozen basil leaves
- 1/2 large peach, cut into12 thin slices
- 4 (1/4 to 1/2-inch) slices of fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 3 steamed asparagus spears, sliced in half lenghtwise
- Freshly cracked black pepper