Do you have a friend who — no matter how much time goes by without talking — you still feel totally connected?
My dear friend Pilar lives in Madrid, Spain. I lived there for a year and — just by chance my study abroad program placed me in her apartment. We became close friends instantly and we felt like sisters. Everyone actually thought we were sisters — twins even!
I’ve been back to visit her a few times over the years, and she’s been here, but it’s been about seven years now since we’ve seen each other, and I don’t know when we last spoke. Even so, I feel like we talked this morning, and if I saw her tonight for dinner, it would seem as if no time had passed.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3/4-pound fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped tomatillo (about 1 large tomatillo)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped tomato, seeds removed (about 1 medium-sized tomato)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon super finely chopped Serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil