This vegan Black Sesame Miso Caramel has a distinctly Asian element to it. The trinity of toasted black sesame, shiro miso and full-fat coconut milk provide the depth, body and richness that make this salted caramel just too good to resist. The subtle nuttiness of the toasted black sesame combined with the salty-umami shiro miso gives the foundation of light-brown sugar and rich full-fat coconut an added complexity.
This vegan Black Sesame Miso Caramel is the perfect addition to waffles, pancakes or french toast and also pairs well with fresh fruit or simply as an indulgent snack on its own. Kept in a sealed container at room temperature it will last for 2-3 days and in the fridge it will keep for at least a week. When cooled it thickens considerably and benefits from being quickly reheated to help loosen it up. We hope you enjoy this vegan Black Sesame Miso Caramel as much as we do because there’s really nothing better than an added saltiness to help balance out your sweets.
Vegan Black Sesame Miso Caramel
- 15g black sesame seeds (not roasted)
- 20ml vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 200ml full fat unsweetened coconut milk (Native Forest ‘Simple’ or Aroy-D, use the one that contains only 100% coconut milk)
- 90g light brown sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 20g (1 tbsp) white miso or shiro miso (no red/brown)