coconut barfi recipe – an easy step by step recipe of coconut barfi made with condensed milk for raksha bandhan.
usually at home, for raksha bandhan we always make rice kheer or seviyan kheer. this time for a change i made the coconut barfi today and also clicked the pics. these were easy to prepare. i did not have time to grate coconuts, so i have used desiccated coconut (dry coconut flakes).
generally freshly grated coconut makes better coconut burfi. so to still get better tasting barfi, i soaked the desiccated coconut in warm milk for about an hour. the coconut absorbs the milk and the texture does to some extent becomes like fresh coconut. when i prepare chutneys or gravies with desiccated coconut, i grind them in warm water or soak them in warm water for some minutes. i did not want to soak the coconut in water, hence i soaked them in milk.
- 1 heaped cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk (i used nestle milkmaid)
- 3 to 4 cardamoms, crushed to powder in a mortar-pestle
- ½ tsp rose water (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 to 3 tsp ghee
- 1 pinch of saffron, crushed or 2 to 3 pinch of saffron powder (optional)
- 8 to 10 cashews, halved or chopped (optional)