Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
A few weeks ago, I went out to lunch with some friends. I told my guys they had to fend for themselves. Our fridge was stocked, so I wasn’t worried. I knew they could find something to eat. When I got home, my boys were finishing up their lunch. No, they didn’t order pizza…although, Josh has done that a few times:) They were eating homemade Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
Josh said he wasn’t in the mood for a sandwich, so he made a big pot of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. Caleb played with pots and pans while dad made soup for lunch! I was kind of sad I missed out on all of the fun. Oh well, mama needed a day out and the guys had a fun afternoon together.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste