This is the Portillo’s Chopped Salad that everyone always raves over and must be at every party or dinner!
Crispy bacon, creamy gorgonzola, sweet tomatoes, ditalini pasta and, oh yeah, some greens are in there, too. Welcome to Portillo’s Chopped Salad (my copycat version).
I love my greens, don’t get me wrong. And although there are exceptions, I typically enjoy my salads with more of the toppings and less of the greens. Or an equal match, as is the case with this copycat Portillo’s Chopped Salad. There’s plenty of romaine lettuce and sliced radicchio in this chopped salad and it’s the perfect amount to balance out all that bacon, cheese and pasta.
- 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t sugar
- large pinch each of dried oregano and kosher salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups ditalini pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped raddichio
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled