The pancake that will make you rethink your experience with the traditional gluten-free/vegan pancake recipes. These rival any all purpose flour recipes that include oil and eggs, yet these are vegan, gluten-free and oil-free and some of the fluffiest and moist pancakes ever. You may be surprised you don't even need syrup!
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk (237 mL) (Don't sub! This gives the lightness & creamy taste)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (30 mL)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (140 g)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon potato starch, not potato flour (90 g) (I use Bob's Red Mill )
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons mini dairy-free chocolate chips (30 g) (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- You will want to cook your potato the day before, so it is completely cooled and dry before preparing the pancake batter. This will also make a much faster pancake morning! If possible, use a kitchen scale for measurements for best results. They are very inexpensive and can be found pretty much everywhere. Pancakes are real finicky, especially gluten-free, so it is best not to sub any of these ingredients, or you will end up with a much different result. Definitely don't sub the potato starch for another starch, it won't produce the same results. Do not sub the coconut milk, as it will affect the texture and taste, as it contains a higher fat content which is necessary in these.