Sans Rival literally means “without rival”. And how apt that this cake is called that. It’s a Filipino layer cake made of buttercream, meringue and toasted cashews. It’s chewy, crunchy, sweet and salty all in one glorious bite. It really is beyond compare.
Happy birthday M!
Before we bite into that though, indulge me as I write a love letter (of sorts) to my sister, who’s celebrating her birthday this week. She dislikes public displays of affection (social media or otherwise) so this will (maybe, slightly) mortify her but as the big sister, I feel it is my lifelong responsibility to make her feel…special…especially on her special day. And I know she secretly (buried deep, so deep, in her soul) longs for cheesy things so here goes.
- 10 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups toasted cashews, chopped