There are a few meals that are as representative to who I am as a person as my green eyes, curly hair and smile. These are the meals I grew up on, the foods that I could always count on during holidays and big family events. These are the meals that, no matter how many times I ate them, they tasted new and exciting each time. Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are gathered around the dinner table, eating these meals.
My grandma Alice’s stuffed peppers is one of those meals, without a doubt. Along with these peppers, her Hungarian stuffed cabbage and lady locks also make the high esteemed list. Since I’m still really missing her, I decided to make some stuffed peppers for dinner last night.
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup cooked rice (boil in a bag, depends on how much you want)
- 2 medium green bell peppers
- 1/2 can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese