Japanese Milk Bread
Bread is my weakness. Crusty French baguettes, chewy Italian ciabatta, and this oh so fluffy and heavenly Japanese milk bread.
Ever since my high school days, there have always been diets and fads telling me to stay away from breads. It’s not that I couldn’t do it, it’s just that I don’t want to deny myself something so tasty. I could give up chocolate, espresso, and maybe even whiskey, but refraining from breads…that might be a real tough one.
- 1/3 cup (45 g) bread flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 1/2 cups (325 g) bread flour
- 1/4 cup (60 g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp (7 g) active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp non-fat dry milk powder, *optional
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsalted butter, softened
- heavy cream, as needed for brushing