Settle down on a warm summers night on your porch or stoop after a long day and enjoy a Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pie. No need for messy slices, since these little pies are the perfection portion for one.
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending the most sought after party of the year (in my opinion) Pie Party Potluck Live hosted by Jackie Gordon of The Diva That Ate New York and Ken Leung of Hungry Rabbit. Getting a ticket to the pie party is equivalent to Willy Wonka’s golden tickets. However instead of candy and chocolate we are lusting after all the sweet and savory pies that each guest is required to bring.
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup or 8oz) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
- 2 stalks rhubarb, chopped
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water for egg wash