My son and I were huddled up in my big comfy chair the other night watching Netflix when I turned to him and asked the daily question..."Any dinner druthers for tomorrow night?" Usually I get a smart response like--"Food" from him 🙄. But this time he quickly responded, "Beef and barley soup would be nice." Me--🤔
Normally, I would serve this soup in late October when the skies are grey and the air temperature is cool and crisp. Well, guess what...the skies have been grey and the air temperature has been cool and crisp lately; not to mention the rain. So it was the perfect time to pull out this recipe. It's easy and I know everyone LOVES it!
The original recipe called for chicken broth--???, this is a beef soup, so I like to use a mixture of mainly beef broth and a little chicken broth. I also add garlic because everything is better with garlic. I use a slurry of a bit more chicken broth and cornstarch at the end of cooking to give the soup a little body. Then I finish the soup with Worcestershire sauce for a deeper flavor, and red wine vinegar and fresh parsley to give it a bright and fresh taste.
Serve it with some warm baked Brown Soda Bread, and this is a soup you will enjoy all year long.
Quick Beef and Barley Soup
- 1/4 dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds blade steak, trimmed, sliced thin, and cut into a medium dice
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 chopped fresh flat leaf parsley