After all of the turkey and ham of the past week, we were craving something quite different for supper at the weekend. We were also having company for supper and I thought they were probably a bit tired of turkey and the like as well.
I was right. This casserole went down a real treat. It is a little bit different than most Cowboy Casseroles which you may see out there in that I add herbs and vegetables to mine.
- After all of the turkey and ham of the past week, we were craving something quite different for supper at the weekend. We were also having company for supper and I thought they were probably a bit tired of turkey and the like as well.
- If you keep ground beef, tinned soup and sweet corn, along with frozen tater tots in your store cupboard/freezer . . . then you always have the makings of this delicious and economical casserole ready to go.
- This is a real family pleasing meal. It's hearty and filling and so very tasty. I like to make a salad to serve on the side and green beans. The other night I added some garlic bread as it was a company meal.
- Needless to say, the meal was well received. I knew it would be. Enjoy!
- Cowboy Casserole
- Printable Recipe
- This may not look very tasty, but trust me when I say it's delicious. I like to make the meat mixture the day before and let it ripen overnight. I think it's even more delicious when you do this.
- 500g of extra lean ground beef (2 1/2 pounds)
- olive oil spray
- a knob of butter
- 1 large leek, split, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (or 3 tsp Gourmet Garden crushed garlic)
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs (thyme, summer savoury, marjoram)
- 2 dessert spoonful's of tomato ketchup
- a good splash of Worcestershire sauce
- a good splash of mushroom ketchup
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (340g) tin of sweet corn, drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tin of condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 125ml of whole milk (1/2 cup)
- 4 heaped TBS sour cream
- 8 ounces strong cheddar cheese, divided (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 bags of frozen potato nuggets (tater tots)