Eating this cool and crunchy cucumber salad always reminds me of Germany. It’s commonly included as part of any Salatteller (salad plate) in German restaurants. A Salatteller will often feature a serving of carrot salad, radish salad, lettuce greens, potato salad and this cucumber salad. They’re the best salads ever!
While creamy cucumber salads are also popular in Germany, this oil- and vinegar-based version is classic.
In Germany you can buy dry dill dressing mixes that come in small envelopes, often the Knorr brand. You add oil and vinegar and add it to your cucumber salad or leafy greens. Here’s a from-scratch version that takes just a couple of extra minutes to assemble and tastes even better.
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional - I don't always include these)
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion (more concentrated flavor than fresh onion)
- 3 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt