These Italian Chicken Meatballs are deliciously seasoned and served with a very simple but dazzlingly vibrant and flavorful tomato sauce.
If you prefer, you can use ground beef instead. I’ll make it both ways depending on the mood I’m in. For the Summer I often prefer the more delicate flavor of the chicken.
There are a few keys to achieving the ultimate flavor: Fresh herbs, the right tomatoes (more on that later) and ground dried porcini mushrooms. You can buy them pre-ground but I prefer to grind them myself (use a coffee or spice grinder) for optimal flavor. They add an incredible depth of flavor that you will love!
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs (gluten-free, use GF breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground dried porcini mushrooms (buy pre-ground or grind them yourself for optimal flavor)
- For the Tomato Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can imported whole Italian DOP San Marzano tomatoes (see Note), crushed or blended to a thick and slightly chunky puree
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt