These were made for our Oscar Party that I told you about last week, and I think that they were my favorite thing that we made as a whole. When I was in high school, I basically lived on sandwiches. They were much more basic than these pressed picnic sandwiches, but they were my favorite thing to eat – I would usually prefer to make myself a sandwich for dinner (or even breakfast) than have what my mom was making. I’m sure that this was frustrating beyond belief, but my mom always kept our fridge stocked with plenty of cold cuts and cheeses so that I could make my beloved sandwiches. Eventually, I started getting more creative with my sandwiches, and I still love making Kramer a sandwich to bring to work every morning. There’s just something so comforting and simple about a good sandwich, don’t you agree?
- 1 large loaf of ciabatta bread, sliced lengthwise
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh pesto
- 3-4 slices good prosciutto
- 3-4 slices provolone cheese
- 3-4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 basil leaves, washed and patted dry
- plastic wrap, for wrapping the sandwiches