I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve made this asparagus stir-fry now. It came to be as many all of my stir-fries come to be. Staring in the fridge, wondering what on earth to cook for dinner – half because I’m being indecisive, and half because the selection of ingredients makes me feel like I’m on my own personal version of Iron Chef.
Except no one would ever make a stir-fry on Iron Chef because just wouldn’t fly. But, my kitchen is not kitchen stadium, and I can almost always count on enough bits and pieces to put together some kind of stir-fry.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon sambal olek
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper