Ahh… cinnamon rolls.
Soft, feathery scrolls of luscious sweet dough filled with swirls and swirls of cinnamon sugar… I mean c’mon people! This is what cozy Christmas mornings are made of!
I must confess however, I wasn’t always a fan.
Traditional cinnamon rolls were always too sweet for my taste and all that heavy, sugary glaze made me want to wallpaper my bathroom instead of eat it. And plus, with all the recipes out there (and there are tons) I always thought to myself: does the world really need another cinnamon roll recipe? Isn’t it too cliché?
- 160 g (2/3 cup) milk, whole or 2%
- 42 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter, divided + plus more for coating.
- 1 large egg
- 100 g (1/2 cup) bubbly, active starter
- 24 g (2 tbsp) sugar
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) fine sea salt
- cooking spray or oil, for coating
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1-2 tbsp milk