On the rare occasion, as a kid, we went to TGI Friday’s for dinner as a treat.
My mom would order the warm spinach salad and I had a chicken quesadilla (exciting!).
To this day, I distinctly remember that salad being really strange. Why on on Earth would anyone want to eat a pile of spinach with raw mushrooms and warm dressing?!
Luckily, tastebuds evolve.
After spotting some good-looking spinach at the market recently, I was in the mood to create an autumn-inspired salad.
Normally, I buy organic baby spinach in the bag. It’s tender, always available, and super easy to add to any meal. But the spinach I found (sans bag) was a deep, mesmerizing emerald color- I had to have it.
- 1 smal acorn squash, sliced into rounds with seeds intact
- olive oil, to coat
- 4- 5 slices of applewood smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- dollop of apricot jam
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- olive oil, as needed
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, or 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 red apple, sliced
- crumbled stilton cheese, to taste