This recipe uses only 1/2 a cup of the lemon sugar, but you can find uses for the rest, no problem. It tastes delicious in tea, or topping some muffins with. Anywhere where you'd like a light lemony flavour added (or, save it for a second batch of Lemon Blueberry Doughnut Holes).
- Place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a food processor. Add the zest of one large (or two small) lemons. Pulse until it is a finer sugar, and the lemon zest is very fine. Remove from food processor and stir in an additional 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose Gluten-Free Flour (see Note)
- 1/2 cup lemon sugar (see recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries (I did make these with 1 cup fresh blueberries as well, the moisture in the blueberries will make the oil splatter, a lot. Much safer to use the dried blueberries)
- Additional 1/2 cup granulated sugar, to coat the doughnut holes after frying (optional)