Psst….come here…a little closer, I want to tell you something.
These. Cookies. Are. Gluten. Free.
There, I said it. But, if you don’t tell anyone, they would NEVER know. Seriously!
These cookies are the based on the recipe for the cookies that I’ve been making my husband (and children, since) for the past 12 years. After going gluten free, I’d make them for the rest of the family to enjoy, while desperately seeking a “tried and true” gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Let me tell you…every single gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe failed. None could live up to the standards that the old stand-by recipe had set. None were good enough. A lot did not contain oatmeal (chocolate chip cookies need oatmeal, in my opinion). Some were just greasy little flat puddles by the time they baked, even with refrigeration. Not one of those cookies could hold a candle to the families favorite cookies. Until now.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (see Note) OR 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, and 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups certified gluten free quick-cook oats
- 2 cups gluten free chocolate chips (or 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup plain M&M's)