Apple Galette with Caramel Sauce
Filed under: Recipes
I have never been a fan of apple pie. I love apples, well I love red apples, but usually apple pies are made with green apples and I have never been a fan of them. Whenever we would go out to dinner and there was apple pie on the menu my sister and I would get it to share just for the delicious flaky crusts and gooey center, but we would pick out the all the apples and give to our dad to eat. Hahaha, Weird huh….
- Well I knew I wanted to make a go at baking an apple pie, but didn’t really want the pie so I decided on changing it up and making something even better… an Apple Galette. But this Apple Galette is not just an ordinary Apple Galette it is drizzled with a caramel sauce, dusted with powdered sugar and then topped with vanilla ice cream… YUM!!!!!
- Now, Yes you may be asking “Why are you making an apple galette during the summer when you should be making this dessert in the fall, well I am here to tell you you can eat this dish anytime of the year it is that good!
- Give it a try and let me know how it goes… Enjoy!
- Start off with these little beauties.
- Peel, chop and dice apples.
- Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When melted add diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until softened.
- Grease a baking sheet. Roll out pie dough.
- Pour cooked apples in center of dough leaving a 1 1/2 inch border around edges.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the apples and create a pleated edge. Try not to be precise, rustic is what we are going for, so a little messy goes a long way. 😉
- Melt butter in microwave for 10 seconds and brush on pie crusts and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until pie edges are golden brown. While baking make the caramel sauce.
- Heat candies and milk over low heat in a heavy sauce pan, stirring occasionally. When the caramels are completely melted drizzle over the warm galette.
- Remove and let cool completely. Before serving dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Apple Galette with Caramel Sauce
- 1 roll Pillsbury pie dough
- 3 tablespoons butter, salted
- 2 apples of choice, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (for brushing)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Easy Caramel Sauce
- 25 Caramel bites/candies
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk, (I used almond milk)