These pretty as a picture Fresh Strawberry Tartlets are the perfect dessert to showcase the season’s ripest berries.
After such a dreadful winter, it was a joy to find fragrant strawberries at the market…surely a sign of spring! I snatched up a couple boxes of the ruby berries as the wheels started turning in my sugar deprived brain. I knew dessert was in order, and fresh strawberry tartlets came to mind.
I rolled out the pastry crust, cut a few circles of dough, fit them in my tart pans and prebaked them. The rest was a piece of cake…or pie as the case may be. Cream cheese, sugar and a bit of lemon juice were beaten till smooth, then incorporated into freshly whipped cream. There was plenty of filling for each of my four tarts, plus enough for left in the bowl for quality control. Thank goodness it passed the scrumptious test. Berries can be arranged on top of each tart in any manner you’d like. I arranged sliced berries on two and halved berries on the rest. A simple glaze of melted red currant jelly provided the elegant sheen. Easy, peasy.
- 1¼ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons cold shortening, diced
- ¼ cup ice water
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup Dixie Crystals Sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Fresh strawberries(12-16 depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly (or other red jelly)