A few years back, I was in a dinner club with a bunch of fun couples. The host and hostess would plan the menu and send out recipes. One November we had a Great Harvest Feast..and the menu was incredible! I can’t believe we ate all these courses: Liver Pate, Johnnycakes with Peekytoe Crab, Spinach Salad with Warm Pecan Garlic Vinaigrette, Wild Rice and Pumpkin Pilaf, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pecans, White Mountain Duck Breast with Cranberry Sauce, Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Rum Brandy Ice Cream AND this Butternut Squash Soup. I remember being taken aback when the hubby finished his bowlful…he liked squash? He ate squash soup??? That is the ultimate endorsement…or maybe it was the pre-dinner cocktails???
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jar (32 ounces) butternut squash puree or make your own
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
- Finely chopped or fried sage leaves, to garnish
- Sour cream or creme fraiche, to garnish
- *I'd roast a couple butternut squash, and when cooked add squash chunks, some brown sugar and extra seasonings to the soup before pureeing.