There’s something about it being sunny and warm outdoors (finally!) that makes me want to “play” with my food. That’s exactly what I was doing when I created this Asian-style taco recipe. It’s definitely not your ordinary taco! The tortillas and lime wedges are grilled for smoky goodness. You’ll get lots of crunch from a colorful cole slaw mix and dry roasted peanuts. There’s plenty of high-flavored ooziness from a lime-accented peanut butter sauce and gochujang. And the highlight is Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chick’n, providing a unique plant-based protein twist. (Hint: You’ll make the chick’n in advance and can heat it up in a cast iron skillet on the grill.) It’s so yum! Plus, it’s vegan—so it’s ideal for a Meatless Monday-inspired Memorial Day BBQ. But please serve up this showstopper at any summertime cookout … no need to wait for next Monday. Eating less meat has never been so tasty—even for meat eaters!
Disclosure: As a Meatless Monday blogger, I received some samples of Gardein products. I was not paid for this post. The recipe and opinions expressed in this post are my own.
grilled vegan mandarin orange chick’n tacos
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 4 soft-taco-size sprouted grain or whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 cups cole slaw mix (or shredded cabbage-carrot mixture)
- 2 tablespoons natural gochujang or sriracha sauce, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves