Food Day is October 24! The focus for this year’s Food Day is Toward a Greener Diet. So celebrate real food and say “cheers” to eating less meat and enjoying more whole plant-based foods; it’s better for you, the animals, and our environment.
Here’s a tip: If you’re not already doing so, pick at least three specific days each week to go meatless, beginning on Meatless Monday. Mark it on your e-calendar so you don’t forget! Already doing that? Keep going, one day at a time, until most or all of your meals are meat free. Small changes toward a greener diet absolutely do add up. This recipe is just one small step to help you do just that.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup shelled roasted and salted pistachios, divided
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons refined peanut oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 (14-ounce) Red Garnet sweet potato, unpeeled, scrubbed, and diced
- 8 ounces sliced wild mushrooms
- 3 ounces soft vegan cashew cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil