Southern summers, especially Deep South summers, bring on weather conditions that seem downright intolerable at times. But those same conditions that try our souls, bring forth a bounty of delectable produce that’s so spectacular it’s the topic of dinner conversations and published articles. It makes folks stop dead in their tracks on busy roads when...
Read More »
The post Southern Summer Vegetable Casserole appeared first on Syrup and Biscuits - Jackie Garvin's Southern food blog.
- yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Layered with summer vegetable favorites, fresh herbs, and cheese. Perfect as a summer take-along. Use any variety of tomato. If using Romas, omit salting and draining them.
- 4 medium (or 2 large) tomatoes, sliced
- kosher salt
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup cooked Southern field peas (I used zipper peas)
- 1 or 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 7 or 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced in strips
- 4-1-1 seasoning
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated