Raw Pumpkin Pie
November 7, 2012
- Raw Pumpkin Pie
- Pies and Tarts
- 0 Comments
- For ages I've been wanting to make a completely raw pumpkin pie. As you know from all my vegan pumpkin recipes, I prefer to use cooked pumpkin in an otherwise raw recipe. I tried the raw pumpkin thing years ago and never liked it... but something has been tugging at me to try again and the following recipe was born. A creamy, hearty, and flavorful pumpkin filling in a nut crust. I admit that I still prefer the cooked pumpkin versions but I'm so pleased with the way this turned out!
- What's important here is to use a pie pumpkin - they're smaller and a little sweeter than bigger pumpkins. You could also try with butternut squash since they have a pleasant taste.
- I topped it with my crunchy coconut lucuma cashews for an extra touch along with a sprinkle of shredded coconut.
- Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- I found that this pie gets better with age - it's even better after chilling in the fridge for 2-3 days and will last for 7-9 days.
- I always keep some of this cheesecake crust on hand so I can easily throw together a dessert, so this recipe probably has more crust that you need for the filling. Store the rest in the fridge or freezer.
- 1 1/2 cups almonds
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla or water (I often need 2)
- Grind the almonds into a flour in a food processor.
- Add the raisins and continue grinding until broken down.
- Add the coconut and vanilla. Grind again to incorporate.
- Add another 1/2 - 1 teaspoon water if needed to keep the mixture held together when pressed in your hand.
- Press into the bottom of a pie plate or mini tart pans (I used 4" ones).
- 2 cups diced pie pumpkin (about 1" cubes)
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 5 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil