We typically have one taco Tuesday kind of meal each week. For a while, it was taco salads every Tuesday. Then it was taco nachos. Next, a taco soup phase. And then, a no taco anything phase because we got so sick of everything taco.
But taco Tuesday kind of meals are just too easy to avoid. Like this week when the only meat in my fridge was ground turkey, the only vegetables: corn and lettuce, the only grain: some rice, and fortunately I had some canned salsa and a half-eaten bag of chips.
And of course I had taco seasoning.
It was either a taco kind of night or a cereal kind of night. I went with taco. Dinner was a quick fix and my boys gobbled it up. Even the picky one! There’s a good chance you’ll have everything you need to make this skillet.
- And this is what happens when you try to take a picture of a piping hot skillet outside on the balcony, when it’s five degrees outside. It was so steamy I couldn’t get a clear shot of the food.
- Simple Turkey Taco Skillet
- 1 lbs lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16oz) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (11 oz) can of corn
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped (optional for topping)
- low fat sour cream (optional for topping)
- tortilla chips