This is a Mammee Apple/Zabricot or Mammisiporte. It’s large, yielding fruit off the large seeds, anywhere plus or minus 600g (21oz), grows on a huge tree and has a sweet mellow taste. I’ve made this season, Zabricot chutney, curried lentils with Zabricot and now this. A friend told me recently that she likes it best fresh with a splash of Angostura bitters. I plan to try that next.
This is a bunch of plantain, which although it looks like a banana, must be cooked. It also has a sweet and mellow taste and I thought the two fruit would play nicely together in this dish. I was right.
- Serves 8
- 500g Zabricot/Mammee Apple/Mammisiporte cut into small chunks
- 1 plantain (180g, 6 oz) cut into small chunks
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Coconut topping
- 120g (4oz) fresh grated/chopped coconut
- 120g (4oz) coconut sugar
- 120g (4oz) grounds almonds/almond flour
- 75g (2.5oz) melted butter
- full fat plain yogurt for dolloping