When my girlies were little I used to make a “pizza” which had a courgette (zucchini) base, pesto for the tomato sauce and tofu for the cheese, so when I went to pick up my weekly supply of organic mushrooms and Pattie of Simply Mushrooms had these lovely babies on sale, and she told me that she makes “pizzas” for her boys with them, ping, I decided to bring back the childhood pizzas with a mushroom base instead.
For those of you interested, this is a very low glycemic dish.
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter
- Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a starter
- 4 large flat portobello mushrooms
- 454g (1 lb) firm tofu
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (or sharp cheddar/parmesan)
- 4 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 4 tbsp pesto (or vegan pesto)
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- salt and pepper