This apple cake taste like an apple pie in sponge cake form! Made gluten free and with no added sugars, just some apples and unsweetened applesauce, it’s a perfect after school snack for the kids!
It’s a beautiful thing when recipes work as planned and written. Not so fun when you expected a recipe to be perfect yet falls short in some way and you’re back to the drawing board. This cake is that recipe for me, but today I’m happily sharing the best out of 3 attempts for a moist, spongey, apple flavored cake!
- 1 cup gluten free flour or oat flour
- 4 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup erythritol ( I use Swerve)
- 6 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2%
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 cup chopped apple, without skin