This recipe was originally published on January 11, 2012 and it sure is a very popular recipe to date, but since then I discovered my allergies to wheat, so I wanted these to easily be adapted for a gluten free life style. Now you can make these whole wheat or gluten free and of course without any sugar added!!
My more popular brownie recipe on my blog is the flourless brownie recipe, but sometimes I run out of that secret ingredient. When I made this recently for the kids, they fell in love with them all over again and dare I say think they are better than my flourless recipe?!! Either way this recipe is a winner! You can make both then decide!
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 4 tablespoons milk, 1%
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or see notes
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure stevia extract
- 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- Optional: 1/2 c. chopped nuts