Apples, oats and muffins……….make for a perfect breakfast don’t you think?
The night before Easter I decided to make these wonderfully yummy and healthy muffins to have for breakfast in the morning before heading to church. We leave super early, 8am!
When I first began my blog, my original Apple Oatmeal Muffins recipe was not sugar free. It is refined sugar and flour free, but not sugar free. I used sucanat to sweeten them which is healthier and less refined than white sugar. But I had wanted to tweak the recipe a bit and try it with stevia only.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon Sweetleaf Stevia powder (*see note)
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oil, melted butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 apple peeled, cored and chopped
- Optional: chopped nuts, granola