I was very busy during our 15 minutes of snow this past weekend. . Winter Storm 2013!!!! It really cracks me up when the weather people get all freaked out and give us round-the-clock precipitation coverage in our very extra mild climate and then name the weather things that sound like clever Starbucks drinks. “Wintry Mix!” “Icy Blast!” Those both sound rather tasty to me.
Anyway. The overzealous forecasters gave me a heads up on all things warm and cozy (because on Saturday here it was 63 degrees and sunshine happy, and if they didn’t send out the Bread & Milk All Points Bulletin I might have been caught in the snow wearing flats with no socks) and I KNEW that Sunday was gonna be a stew kinda day.
- 2 pounds lean stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (11-12 ounce) bottle of dark stout beer
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup quick barley