This colorful raw salad calls for golden beet, zucchini, carrot, radish, cucumber and jicama, and has a light, tangy dressing. Shredding the vegetables in the food processor makes preparing this salad fast and easy. Great for a party, potluck or picnic!
You will be using the shredding/grating blade of your food processor (this is the one I use). It is the flat circular attachment with small holes that sits at the top of the food processor bowl (not at the bottom like the “S” blade) with the help of a vertical arm attachment. A food processor results in firmer shredded vegetables, but if you don’t have one you can use a hand or box grater, which will yield a moister salad of smaller pieces.
- 1 medium carrot, peeled or unpeeled
- 6-inch length of an English cucumber, peeled or unpeeled
- ¼ pound jicama, peeled
- ¼ pound golden beet, peeled
- 3 large red radishes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salt-free sodium mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 small-medium clove of garlic, put through a garlic press (or finely chopped)