I call this a salad but it could also be a side dish. The bottom line is that it is de-lic-ious! Made of brown rice, asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, green peas, green onions, pecans, and one of my favorite fresh herbs, tarragon. Great texture and flavor, with a light dressing of lemon juice, mustard and garlic. This is one everyone will love!
If you make this recipe and enjoy it, please share a comment below or on my Facebook page. If you’d like to print this recipe, use the green “Print” button near the top-right of the recipe. Learn more about the Straight Up Food Cookbook here. Thank you!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2½ cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups asparagus, ends trimmed (and discarded), then chopped into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups green peas (thawed if frozen)
- 3 large green onions, white and green parts chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup pecan halves, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I like Dijon or stoneground)
- 1 medium clove garlic