This is very reminiscent of traditional lasagnas, but of course, without the meat, cheese, and added salt and oil. Bottom line: it’s delicious! Instead of meat, I have used zucchini and mushrooms, and a great tofu blend to take the place of the ricotta.
Lasagnas are a labor of love, for sure. But they are worth the wait. I like this recipe best with brown rice noodles, but see Notes below for instructions on making it with sliced potatoes instead, which will give you a more stout lasagna.
Above: A slice of Lasagna using brown rice lasagna noodles.
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced (about 1¼ cups)
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped (3-4 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional; these are spicy)
- 6 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- ¼ cup unsalted, unroasted cashews or walnuts (as garnish; optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Swiss chard
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, Italian herb seasoning, or other no-salt seasoning blend